Monday 16 December 2013

canning (jarring)

I popped Jojo to the bus stop for the dreaded Halewood School Bus this morning. Surprisingly it was already packed when it got to us at Central Ave - then it was going on toward Morrisons to pick up the bulk of Speke pupils before heading to Halewood.  He was "quite concerned" last night as we've only heard bad reviews of this adult-free bus journey.  However on the stop we met two teenage girls that I happened to know from way back when i did reading in Mrs Keating's class, about 5 years ago! And they took Jojo under their wing. Aww!
I can't wait to hear how he got on - DF & BC will be getting on the bus a few stops later than Jojo as they're up the East end of Speke.

Been Canning and Jarring. I've made apple sauce/ apple pie filling, satsuma curd (!) - it's very nice, sweet & mild but it separated in the jars once cool. But it was very good warm, poured over a new york cheesecake!
and today I made a red onion jam with thyme & port. spicy! I actually bought Kilner Preserve Jars for the red onion stuff to make them a bit posher for certain in-laws (!) and managed to crack one while sterilising. Gah!  -I ran out of jars - I keep them all year round. but I've still got a few of the best-sized jars full of spicy applesauce and salsa. my fave jars are the ones for dips / salsa that goes with doritos, so feel free to save them for me!
This morning Ive made a sausage casserole and smoked cheese 'n' mustard gnocchi for tea.

My dad phoned and is coming for lunch tomorrow to deliver a little christmassy gift, so I can pass them some of my preserves & eggs. Yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment